There are loads of ways to use up milk, all depending on what you have left in your fridge/cupboards, in the hope that you can combine them all.
Sweet recipes to use up milk:
- Flan, which is the equivalent of set custard, except that you use the whole egg instead of just the egg yolk. Vanilla flavoured with caramel sauce is how I like them. But, you can customise it to your taste, i.e. chocolate, fresh fruit, etc.
- French pancakes, which use much more milk than Scottish pancakes.
- Rice or semolina pudding, etc.
Savoury recipes to use up milk:
- Bechamel sauce, which is the French equivalent of white sauce. If you are wheat intolerant, you could replace the wheat flour with rice flour or even cornmeal. Lately, I have also been using Gram flour, i.e. chick pea flour. It is a lovely alternative. Bechamel sauce is great as a base for gratin dishes or pies or simply poured over cooked vegetables, adding a generous amount of grated cheddar cheese.
- Stuffed pancakes. This will help you get rid of any leftover food too. Make your pancakes, cut up any leftover food into small cubes and mix into a thick bechamel sauce with some grated cheese. Roll each pancake with the stuffing inside and cook in the oven (180 degrees C for about 25 minutes).
Have you got any other suggestions yourself?